Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Its" been a while

Sorry it has been a little while since my last posting. Between work and crazy amounts of snow and other weather, it has been a little hectic.

Here are the results from the first poll:

2/3 of you feel that conjunctions in papers are never okay
1/3 believe that conjunctions are okay in moderation

I have always been told not to use them at all, but I also believe it relies heavily on the subject matter. A more casual academic paper may allow it. I also, obviously, believe they are okay when the subject matter is conjunctions. However, it is always important to ask your professor/boss/whoever you are writing for, and to understand that even just one conjunction turn a formal paper into a much more casual one.

 Speaking of conjunctions, I did,  manage to find an Ozark Grammar Goof on Valentine's Day. My boyfriend and I went to a singles charity event downtown, not knowing it was for singles (we found out the day of, called, and learned lots of couples were going so we figured it was okay). This was posted outside of it:





The "Its" drove me crazy. The event is the subject and the event is for charity, therefore it is or it's for charity. "Its" is possessive, like if you are watching a dog play outside and you say "Look at the dog go into its house." I always remember by thinking if you can say "it is" with the sentence and it makes sense, then use "it's." If the word is would not make sense, use "its."

I am going to keep looking around for local grammar goofs, hopefully one comes along soon. Happy reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It